Weight and Carat:
Carat: Is the weight of a gemstone.
The picture above is a 59carat Topaz. We found at O’Brien Creek.
Weight, Carat and Size is important to know when buying and selling gemstones. It is hard buying gemstones with out seeing it, Often the larger the stone the more valuable it is, not the case. You have to take in the colour, clarity, and inclusions (flaws). Picking up a gemstone, look at it under a light or loupe, If you can see right through it , is a good sign it is a great gemstones. Check the size dimensions in millimetres when you are buying gemstone and don’t rely on carat weight alone.
My first gemstone I bought was a green diamond it was .01 carat stone, 01 Carat stone is the size is smaller than a grain of fine sand. The gemstone was a green diamond, cost $10 Australian Dollars, if you look at it under a loupe you can see about 18 faceted cut in the stone. The $10 was a great investment as it is a real eye opener .I don’t know if it was a real diamond, at a guest no.
Gemstone Carat Chart
- Carat=0,2 Grams 26 Carat =5.2 Grams 51 Carat= 10.2 Grams 76 Carat= 15.2 Grams
- Carat=0.4 Grams 27 Carat= 5.4 Grams 52 Carat= 10.4 Grams 77 Carat= 15.4 Grams
- Carat=0.6 Grams 28 Carat= 5.6 Grams 53 Carat= 10.6 Grams 78 Carat= 15.6 Grams
- Carat=0.8 Grams 29 Carat= 5.8 Grams 54 Carat= 10.8 Grams 79 Carat= 15.8 Grams
- Carat=1 Grams 30 Carat=6 Grams 55 Carat= 11 Grams 80 Carat= 16 Grams
- Carat=1.2Grams 31 Carat=6.2 Grams 56 Carat= 11.2 Grams 81 Carat= 16.2 Grams
- Carat=1.4 Grams 32 Carat=6.4 Grams 57 Carat= 11.4 Grams 82 Carat= 16.4 Grams
- Carat=1.6 Grams 33 Carat=6.6 Grams 58 Carat= 11.6 Grams 83 Carat= 16.6 Grams
- Carat=1.8 Grams 34 Carat=6.8 Grams 59 Carat= 11.8 Grams 84 Carat= 16.8 Grams
- Carat=2 Grams 35 Carat=7 Grams 60 Carat= 12 Grams 85 Carat= 17 Grams
- Carat=2.2 Grams 36 Carat=7.2 Grams 61 Carat=12.2 Grams 86 Carat= 17.2 Grams
- Carat=2.4 Grams 37 Carat=7.4 Grams 62 Carat=12.4 Grams 87 Carat= 17.4 Grams
- Carat=2.6 Grams 38 Carat=7.6 Grams 63 Carat=12.6 Grams 88 Carat= 17.6 Grams
- Carat=2.8 Grams 39 Carat=7.8 Grams 64 Carat=12.8 Grams 89 Carat= 17.8 Grams
- Carat=3 Grams 40 Carat=8 Grams 65 Carat=13 90 Carat= 18 Grams
- Carat=3.2 Grams 41 Carat=8.2 Grams 66 Carat=13.2 Grams 100 Carat= 20 Grams
- Carat=3.4 Grams 42 Carat=8.4 Grams 67 Carat=13.4 Grams 125 Carat= 25 Grams
- Carat=3.6 Grams 43 Carat=8.6 Grams 68 Carat=13.6 Grams 150 Carat= 30 Grams
- Carat=3.8 Grams 44 Carat=8.8 Grams 69 Carat=13.8 Grams 175 Carat= 35 Grams
- Carat=4 Grams 45 Carat=9 Grams 70 Carat=14 Grams 200 Carat= 40 Grams
- Carat=4.2 Grams 46 Carat=9.2 Grams 71 Carat=14.2 Grams 250 Carat= 50 Grams
- Carat=4.4 Grams 47 Carat=9.4 Grams 72 Carat=14.4 Grams 300 Carat= 60 Grams
- Carat=4.6 Grams 48 Carat=9.6 Grams 73 Carat=14.6 Grams 500 Carat=100 Grams
- Carat=4.8 Grams 49 Carat=9.8 Grams 74 Carat=14.8 Grams 750 Carat=150 Grams
- Carat=5 Grams 50 Carat=10 Grams 75 Carat=15 Grams 1000 Carat=200 Grams
Meaning of Lapidary–a person who cuts, polishes, or engraves of stones and gems.
Join your local Lapidary Club
They should be able to tell you every thing you need to know about Gemstone ,Rocks and fossil .Your local club will also have equipment to cut and polish your stones you find.
I love hearing stories about what gemstones other people have found, and where. Write a comment. And tell your story about Gemstones where you go. Your best find.
Thank You Have a Wonderful Day.